We all pay tax during the course of our working lives. Our taxes are used to pay for vital services, such as the police, NHS and school systems.

Sometimes, we end up paying more tax than we should, due to mistakes in the system or through personal error. So how can we claim this tax back?

How Does Tax Overpayment Occur?

There are many reasons why we might have ended up paying too much tax. These include:

  • Paying too much through your job.
  • Having too much deducted from your pension.
  • Filing an incorrect tax return.
  • Being taxed too much after leaving employment.
  • Overpaying on your National Insurance.

These are just some of the many ways in which you might end up paying too much tax. Often, doing so can be a result of a simple oversight, or a mistake which has been made on one of your tax forms. And often, these mistakes are very simple to put right. All you need to do is understand how to claim your tax back, in as straightforward and simple a way as possible.

Claiming Your Tax Back

The tax refund process can often be confusing. There are many factors to be taken into consideration, such as your profession, age and location, as well as what types of financial products (e.g. pensions) you own.

To make the process simpler, many people choose to take advantage of one of the select, professional tax rebate services there are available. For a small fee, these service providers will do your tax refund application for you, making sure that all forms are filled in correctly and sent to the right department in a timely fashion. This ensures that their customers become eligible for the largest rebate possible, which may not have been the case if they’d tried to claim back their own tax.

What Happens if Your Tax Refund is Wrong?

If you’ve claimed tax back, and later found that the amount you’ve been given is wrong, you should immediately seek to rectify the mistake. You can do this in one of two ways. If you have used the services of a professional tax rebate company, they will be able to solve this problem for you. And, since they will have access to all of your supporting information, you won’t have to lift a finger. If you’ve claimed back you own tax, however, you will need to get in touch with HMRC directly, so that they and you can work together to correct the error.

Enhanced by Zemanta